I didn’t need to do a lot since most of the rust was surface level, and the grime was easily removed. I took a pass at the blade, and I got it reasonable sharp but it’s going to need a little more work I think. It’s been rounded a bit too much, and they put a back bevel on it that is going to take some work to back to flat. I did “scary sharp” sandpaper method through 600 grit, and then switched to my combination white/black Arkansas stone. Got some decent shavings off of some tricky maple, but like I said it’s going to take some work.
All in all, for $5, this is a fantastic plane.
Now, lunch and back to work on the pens, I’m 12 into the 16 I need.